Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Nats Wrap-up

I guess I'll finish up the report and post on the final day of racing. Jamie and Dan raced the Madison (not with each other - Jamie with Kenny, Dan with Beardsley), and I did the Points race. I made it 35 laps before they pulled me. It was fast. I was slow. That's about all there is to it. As for Jamie and Kenny, they made 6th place, just one step short of the medals and the podium.

I've had some time now to reflect on things. Many things contributed to my poor performance at track nats, but I think the overarching issue was that I did not mentally prepare myself to race this long a season. When I started racing in February, I didn't plan to go to track nats in October. I planned to race my heart out until Friday Night Racing ended in September. I think I did that. And then I took a mental break. So I didn't continue to train hard, I got sick, and I had no real goals for nationals. I went to get the experience. Now I know I need to be faster, and I think that is more than possible for next year. I will begin the year knowing that I want to go to nats and surprise people who saw me this year. (:

Now it's time to focus on winter training...and time to stock up on toe warmers.

1 comment:

JT said...

I think you did an amazing job in just showing up my friend! It takes a lot of gusts to roll up to the line and give it a go - and now you have something to train for! My first elite nats were an eye opener - I got lapped during the points race. But I wouldn't have it any other way. There are somethings you just have to learn by doing - and that's certainly one of them. I'm so proud of you! And am looking forward to seeing you grow as a rider in the many years to come!