Thursday, October 04, 2007

I live in Seattle?

Well, I know I do, but it's still hard to believe. Reality should kick in once I get a routine down, start work, find a team, etc... But for now, this all seems so unreal.

Tuesday I went out for my first bike ride as a Seattlite, and towards the end, a guy actually gave me a thumbs up out his truck window, and yelled, "I love cyclists!" as he nodded his head with a big smile. Crazy. In Houston, a guy would have given me the finger as he yelled curse words out his window. What a contrast already. And what a great welcome to Seattle.

Yesterday, Tricia took me on a ride to Seward Park. Despite the fact that it was probably an easy ride for her, I was gasping for air the entire time just trying to stay on her wheel. She said I could pull through if I wanted, or just stay and draft, and I told her I didn't think there would be any pulling through. There wasn't. (: But it was a great ride, even though we got a little rained on towards the end. The days have been spectacular so far, with mostly sun (the only really rainy day so far was Sunday), and some threatening clouds in the distance most of the time. It's been cold (well, cold for someone who's lived in Houston for 4.5 years), but I just throw on another sweater and I'm fine. Then last night I went and did yoga. That was a disaster. My body was already exhausted, so I just got frustrated at myself for not being able to hold the poses.

Since Jamie's been off at Elite Track Nationals, it's given me some time to settle myself in, and get to know his roommates (and Tricia) without him around. Although it'd be great if he was here, it's kind of nice to have that time to bond with them alone. Riain and I share bad TV shows at night, and Paul even gave me ride back from the airport after I dropped of my rental car today, after which we went and had some great pizza in the U-district. And of course Tricia is amazing, letting me borrow her car (AUDI) to pick up my stuff from storage, taking me on rides, and inviting me to yoga (and Monday night dinner). How awesome is she?!

Speaking of Jamie at Elite Nat's, his team took 3rd in the Team Pursuit yesterday - pretty freakin' awesome, considering this is NATIONALS. We're all so happy for him. I wish I could have seen it, but I think I definitely plan on being there next year - to RACE.

I've been having a hard time finding a place to live, especially since I want to be in Wallingford, and not pay out the *%! for a room. I'm picky, what can I say? And it's difficult to find the motivation to look any harder when I am currently living with some awesome people in a great location.

Well, that's all for the update. Riain should get home soon, show me how to feed the cat, and then I'm off on a short, easy ride for today. (: I love Seattle.

2 comments:

Josie said...

Hi Christine!
I haven't looked at your blog for a while, and then SURPRISE, saw that you moved to Seattle! I hope all is well with you -- you sound so happy! Don't forget us back here at Cornell--always your friend, Jo-Lynn

Unknown said...

I love how time flies: I don't remember the date when we last talked on the phone, but you were heading to Germany -- now it's the tenth, your blog was posted on the 4th, and I was just thinking to myself yesterday "hey I wonder if X is back from Germany yet? Should be about time right? I should check her blog."

So it goes : ).

I'm happy for ya sis, don't be a stranger to gchat!