Friday, May 30, 2008

Like I said -- busy. But still...

Went to Hood 2-ish weeks ago. Had an amazing time. Played soigneur for a team of 6 gals that shrank down to 4. (One of my favorite quotes from the week: "That's a SEVERE whittle!") It was humbling yet encouraging at the same time watching 3 of my strongest teammates kick their own butts in a UCI field. I even got to do some riding along the Columbia River Gorge, and up "Seven Mile Hill Road." Yes, it was a seven-mile hill. I have a photo somewhere of me at the summit. Maybe I'll post that soon. Met the HealthNet soigneur, watched the Pro-1 men's crit, (wo)manned the feed zones, got lost with Team TIBCO trying to find the feed zones, drank beer with the mechanic, and had an all-around great experience.

Raced the road bike leg in Ski to Sea last weekend. Also had an amazing time. Pushed harder than I ever have for 38 miles before. Kicked my own butt. It's crazy what drafting can do for you. Yes, it makes it easier, but it also forces me to push myself just that much harder to stay on the wheel in front of me. Wow. Finished 8th in my division, out of 64, and 96th out of all 440-some participants. I'm satisfied for now, but hungry for next year.

Mountain-biked at Galbraith on Monday. We spent 4 hours in the saddle, on largely technical singletrack. Crazy-fun, muddy-dirty, wet, tough, and at times very frustrating. But my friends were patient and encouraging. I'm SO glad I got a mountain bike before moving out here -- I just hope I find more time to use it! Maybe I'll do more MTBing next fall/winter.

This weekend: the first night of the real Friday Night Track Racing season! Then the Enumclaw Omnium - 3 stages in 2 days. Let's hope my legs are ready for this, eh? If nothing else, it's great training. Patience...I know it's a necessity, but sometimes that's really hard to remember.

No comments: