Thursday, June 19, 2008

Whoa, June is flying by!

So I failed at reporting on the Minnesota Fixed Gear Classic. It was an amazingly organized event, with free dorm housing just yards from the track, a beautiful racing surface, and great competition - plus simply amazing hosts. I learned quite a bit from racing there, but most of all I learned that I'm often better than I think I am. I need to give myself some more credit, and race like I'm worth it! Plus I had some good times with my teammates Adrian, Dan, and Jen (see photo).

Last weekend I drove out to the Methow Valley for the crit and road race part of the omnium. Heather raced all 3 omnium stages, and I rode in support of her. It was great!! I managed to give her a lead-out in the road race, and she took 2nd, moving up to 2nd in the GC! The scenery was gorgeous, and we even got to hang out in the river in Winthrop on Sunday afternoon.

Yesterday evening I went on my first truly structured training ride in a while (mostly it's been just race and recovery recently). As I rode home through Madrona, I caught a whiff of cool water trickling down the rock surface off the side of the shaded road -- it reminded me of Ithaca and the gorges; brought back some fond memories. It was also a great workout: I really put my heart into the interval efforts, climbed Madrona hill on the way home, and found my way back to the normal route all on my own. Felt so good!

This weekend will be another @ss-kicker: Friday Night Racing, the State Championship Criterium on Saturday, and the State circuit race on Sunday. I think I'll be due for some rest after that... (: We shall see!

No comments: