Monday, July 21, 2008

Alpenrose

Skipped Friday Night Racing at Marymoor because my body was saying, "NO!" I slept for hours when I got home (early) from work. I guess my body needed a break.

Saturday I drove down to Portland for the final day of their AVC on Sunday.

First up: Keirin heats. In both the first one and the repechage I felt stronger than I performed, and learned a lot. Going around that track at race speed is a LOT different than rolling around it with 1 other person. And you have to start thinking about your final sprint WAY earlier than on Marymoor. Oops.

Next: Miss and Out. Wanted to try the technique that's been working for me recently, and when I missed my first chance, I kind of lost motivation and just gave up on the race. I know, looking back on it, that was totally the wrong attitude, but now I've learned that lesson. I should have relentlessly tried to regain my desired position in the pack, but oh well. Next time... Also frustrating was missing the initial instructions when they told us they'd be pulling every other lap because I was being asked by another official if I was really not a Cat 1/2. Grrrr!

Finally, the Points Race. I had a renewed sense of purpose, had finally started to learn this track, and felt strong and ready. I contested the majority of the sprints (if not all of them? memory is fuzzy), and held 2nd for a while, but I think I lost placement in the final sprint, which, unbeknownst to me, was for double points. Darn it. Oh well, still pulled off 4th, and got some kudos from friends and teammates.

It was encouraging, also, to have Jane come up to me after the Keirin and say that she took comfort in being on my wheel. And it was also a confidence booster to have Steph tell me she thought I should be a cat 2, and that I raced like a 1 on the track! Wow...talk about ego padding...

So, although I was disappointed with my overall performance, I took a lot of learning away from this weekend. I need to remind myself to never give up, especially in the middle of a race, and also to not hesitate (as in a sprint). It could cost you the race (or at least the $$$!). And then I'll know I tried my hardest.

Team pursuit practice is tomorrow with my wonderful lady teammates, and I have FSA to look forward to all week...and taking Friday off of work to race - w00t!

No comments: